Sunday, November 6, 2011

Befuddled

So I was late for church today and so we are waiting in the lobby (my 3 children and I, Quinn is working) waiting for the sacrament to get done, so we can go into the chapel. I am wearing high heels, trying to keep my skirt on while Bridge incessantly pulls on it. I'm holding him in my arms, my feet begin to ache, I am holding my bag full of stuff that I need to occupy my child, and trying to keep my children from running down the halls. I'm a single mom at church today. I look around the lobby for somewhere to sit. Somewhere I can contain my child and read him a book to keep him occupied and get off my blasted feet. A place where my children can sit down on the floor next to me while we wait for the sacrament to be over. I look around the lobby. Every seat is taken, not a single one remains. There are 2 women with children, the rest are men, lounging in their chairs, most with their eyes shut. WHAT HAPPEN TO COMMON COURTESY? Where is the gentleman that says, "excuse me would you like to take my seat, I can stand." or "you look like you have your hands full, would you like my seat?" I mean come on. Men- I know that it takes a little more effort sometimes to notice when a mom is in need of help. But come on! If it were my husband, I would be telling him to get up, so that the mother could sit down. I made it through the 20 min. of sacrament, but it would have been nice to see a gentleman. Especially in church, where we learn to serve. I really would like to know where chivalry has gone. Quinn opens my door sometimes, which is nice. But my grandmother, never opened her own door, or rarely any door for that matter. There was always a gentleman to open the store door, or my grandfather to open her door. Men would stand up on the bus to let a woman sit down. It seems that women were valued more back in the day. Sure things weren't perfect, but we weren't looked down on when we claimed we stayed home with our children. We were more widely respected. What happen to the tipping of a hat with the respectful, "maim." What happen to the sentiment, "after you!" MEN............STEP UP AND BE MEN!" We don't expect to be swept up onto a black stallion and whisked away into the night, but a little common courtesy wouldn't kill ya. Offer your spot in line to the mom with kids screaming. Give your seat to the woman who has others to take care of other than just herself. Open a door for a woman coming in, as you are going out. Offer to carry groceries or push the cart when she's fighting to keep a hold of her children. Where have all the gentlemen gone? I know my husband would be greatly appreciative to know that a man stepped up to help his wife when he couldn't be there to do it. This isn't just about helping the women. It's about helping your fellow men and brothers out too. When they can't be there, shovel their walks when it snows, make sure that they are getting the things they need while their husbands are gone. Offer blessings if you hear someone in their family is sick and may be in need of one. Don't leave a woman to look around and wonder about the character of her fellow men. And who knows, it might just make you feel better about yourself too. How would you want your wife to be treated if you weren't around? Let that sink in!

No comments:

Post a Comment