Tuesday, September 27, 2011

What college has taught me........

So as some of you may know, I started school in August and it's my first semester. I am doing well I have to say. I am pulling an A average and I am happy about that. I use to feel kind of badly about myself because I felt I had nothing under my belt except "mommy experience". The world looks down on being just a homemaker/mom. We are thought as simple minded and unintelligent. As if we have nothing of importance to say. I will admit that I agreed with the world for some time. Because of how the world saw me, I myself saw little worth in myself. I thought starting school would make me feel good about myself and maybe make what I had to say have more worth. In some ways it did make me feel good about myself. But not much. =) I commend those that go to college. Especially a mom with kids still at home. But this is what going to school taught me......
School is important, but not important enough to neglect your children. I think I am a pretty good mom. I am not perfect by any sense of the word, but I care about my children intensely and want what is best for them. But I found that I was having to tell my son too often, "go play" or "go do something elsewhere so mommy can get her homework done." I couldn't feel good about that. I tried to tell myself, "it's ok, your homework is important. He will be fine." But It's not. My son will never be 2 again. Once that is gone, it's gone. It will not come back. I have a small window of opportunity with him, where he wants me around. Soon he won't care whether I am around or not. So......I choose him. Every time. I use to not be okay with the fact that I had no college experience, but it took me going to college to realize that being a mom IS, or SHOULD BE a full-time job. If your husband can stay with your kids while you go to school, I think that is fantastic and I understand that there are some mom's that would love nothing more than to stay home with their kids, but don't have that option. To those women, I applaud you. For you are doing what you must and lets face it, that's what mommies do.......what they must. But as for me, I am truly blessed to have this option. I can stay home with my kids. I can revel in the ages that they are and I'll never get back. I can decide to postpone my schooling for a more important subject..........my children. Nothing is more important than them. Ironically, my child development class taught me this. It showed me how fast they grow and change and that if I'm not careful, I will miss it. So instead of college making me feel important, it made me realize how important I already was. If I fail at school, well that is unfortunate, but if I fail my children and family I will never forgive myself. I know there will be people who will be disappointed by my decision to not go on next semester, but I want my kids to have my full attention and I can't do that if I'm worried about deadlines or getting assignments in. So after this semester I will be just a homemaker/Mommy! And I am completely ok with that. =) I am intelligent for what I know from my personal experiences. I don't need to master physiological theory in order to be intelligent. After all, it's just a theory. =) What I know for a fact is that children need their mothers. Their time, attention, hugs and kisses, faith, confidence...........they will get theirs from you. So I am going to finish this semester with the best of my ability and then I am going to focus on being a better mom and person for my children to look up to. Because they aren't going to care whether I am a speech pathologist. Only that I'm there. And I am going to change the world, one child at a time. =) I am more likely to change the world by raising my children strong and with a strong sense of who they are, than I could being a speech pathologist. This I know. Someday, it might be the right time for me to go to school, but as for now, it is not. God has blessed me with the responsibility of caring for my children. I will not let Him down by taking it for granted. God bless mommies! =)

5 comments:

  1. I loved this post... It made me rethink of how I'm really doing as a mom. Way to go for being in tune!! Keep being positive!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks you. You are so sweet. I appreciate all the feedback, I really do. How are you guys doing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mandi Davis Ward
    6 hours ago
    Mandi Davis Ward

    Mal,
    I just read you blog post about school and moms...I tried to comment on there but it wont let me so I will on here:) I just wanted to say thank you for that. You have given me the much need boost to do better at my job of a stay at home mom. You always know just what to say...you are good with words. You are an awesome mom and friend. I also want to apologize for what a crappy friend I have been. I just feel like my life has been a rollercoaster while i was preganant and really hasnt stopped since having Hank. I really should have been a better friend so for that I am sorry and hope you still consider me a friend. Miss your smile and laugh....Hope we can get together the next time I come to logan. Saw that you lost ur phone. when you get ur new one text me to let me know so I can contact ya the next time I make a trip to logan. Loves

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are awesome Mal! You really know just what to say and you helped me feel better about being 'just' a stay at home momma. You will do great things :) Loves!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Allison. =D You are sweet. You are already doing great things. =D

    ReplyDelete