Friday, September 30, 2011

Potential

I've been thinking about potential lately. What is the definition of the word 'potential'? The dictionary definition is, ''latent but unrealized ability or capacity.'' So in other words we have something more inside us than we are even aware of. It's kind of a deep thought. We are capable of extraordinary things, so why aren't we doing extraordinary things? Our biggest road block keeping us from achieving the greatness that we have inside us, is..........us! We get in our own way. I look at it kind of as a track meet. Lets say we have hurdles to jump and our "coach" (aka Heavenly Father) says, "You can do this. In fact I will help you and show you how. All you have to do is jump and I promise you will make it over." So you start to run and your first hurdle is coming up fast. You watch it approach and right as you get to that hurdle, you stop. You stare at that hurdle, shake your head, and say "I can't do it! It's too high, it's too hard, or I'm gonna biff it and fall." So the Lord says, "Ok, here is a little help. So he puts a trampoline next to the hurdle. (aka your scriptures) and says, "Alright, all you have to do is jump." You look at the trampoline and say, "I can't! I still may fall and that just looks too simple to work." So the Lord says, "Ok, let's talk about this." (aka prayer) But we reply with, "I'm sorry, but I don't have time, I'm too busy trying to come up with a way to get over this hurdle." So the Lord shakes His head sadly and says, "Well ok, here is a step ladder. Take it one step at a time and you won't fall, and you will get over this hurdle." (aka keeping the commandments, temple covenants, steps of progression) So you start up the ladder. You take the first one, then the second, and you get to the very top. Some will climb back down, too afraid of what is on the other side of that hurdle. Some will just never climb the ladder, not having enough faith in order to try. And others will make it to the other side and find another hurdle a little ways up the path and decide to quit because there are just too many hurdles to climb. Others will continue to listen to the "coach's" advice and jump every hurdle that is presented. Others may trip and fall and decide to give up over a scraped knee. And then there are others that just keep going, hoping to just finish the race. Some hurdles take longer to get over, some are quick. But mostly it depends on how much effort we are going to put into overcoming that obstacle and how well we listen. At the end of the race, you will not only be rewarded by the knowledge that you endured and made it to the finish line, but you will also receive riches beyond your comprehension. YOU JUST HAVE TO FINISH!!!! No one will make it to the finish line without a few scrapes, bruises, and scars, but only the ''coach'' has the first aid kit, so you have to make it back to Him. No one will cheer you on more than the "coach". No one will help you or keep you hydrated more than Him. But you have to jump. You have to trust your "coach". You have to have faith that he knows what you are capable of and of what training you've had. He's a breath away, and He has a solution if you trip or fall. He has sent His "assistant coach" (aka Christ) down to help wipe the dirt from your wounds and get you back on your feet. You just have to ask. I can finish this race! I know I can! And...........I can become the incredible athlete that my "coach" knows I'm capable of being. The gift I look forward to the most at the end of this race is the approval of my "coach" and for Him to stand proud of me. I may not come in first, but I will finish. I have to, I have kids that are following me. I hope they come out with less scars, by learning from my mistakes. =) But I will do whatever I can to see them finish. Finish the race! Don't quit! Don't think you can't do it, because you can! Rely on Him to help and support you. And encourage your teammates to keep going. If it ever feels like the "coach" has given up on you, look around at all the tools He has given you in order to succeed. Use the trampoline, step ladder, or just ask for his advice. It's not about how fast you get there, it's just about getting there. It's pass or fail, and you can pass! You just have to keep going! I see too many people giving up and I will admit it is disheartening seeing so many sit down and give up. It's discouraging! But don't let other squatters keep you from finishing. Don't let them slow you down. Just keep running. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm thirsty. I'm ready to finish. So excuse me, would ya? I've got a race to finish. =) See you at the finish line!

No comments:

Post a Comment